For safety and development reasons, all under 6 – under 14 junior activity participants must complete a proficiency evaluation prior to being able to participate in any water activity on beach days, training days, or at carnivals.
In order to participate in an evaluation children MUST have a completed registration, including payment of fees.
The 2021/2022 proficiency evaluation requirements are listed in the table below:
- U6-U7 – Pool only – have this form signed off by a nationally registered swim coach. If you are unable to get the form signed just wait until the season starts and we will organise something for the few nippers who this will apply to.
- U8 – Pool only – have this form signed off by a nationally registered swim coach. If you are unable to get the form signed then you may come to a pool proficiency session.
- U9-U14 consists of two parts:
- Part 1 – Pool Swim – this can be completed in one of two ways –
- Part 2 – Ocean Swim
- NOTE: Both parts must be completed to be deemed proficient. Mandatory proficiency requirements for all ages are detailed in the table below.
- NOTE: Children will NOT be able to attempt the ocean swim without attending a pool assessment or submitting a form with coach sign off PRIOR.
If intending to participate in carnivals the proficiency evaluation must be completed prior to their first carnival (even if only planning to do sand events).
Proficiency evaluations for the 2021/22 season are:
- Saturday 23rd October 2021 2:45pm Swansea Pool, followed by an ocean swim at Blacksmiths Beach from approx 4:15pm. This date is for Under 9s and up, focussing on competitors, particularly those who wish to compete at the carnivals in November and December, but also for new members who may wish to commence board training if they pass proficiency. Keep an eye on Team App for further details.
- 2nd date will be in November, not yet confirmed.
You only have to attend ONE of the above days.
- We acknowledge and recognise that all of our Nippers have been disadvantaged by our extended COVID lockdown this year and with the closure of swimming pools, cancellation of lessons/squads and LGA restrictions. Please note there will be additional proficiencies in November. The proficiency is used as a guide to ensure our Nippers safety on beach days.As a committee, we are planning how we can best help our Nippers to achieve their proficiency throughout the season and your child will always be welcome to participate in Nipper activities, either with one-on-one water safety or modified activities.Please contact Annie at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jason at email@example.com if you would like to discuss further.
- Proficiency is a requirement for ALL nippers
- Nippers MUST have a completed registration (including payment of fees) 48 hours prior to attending a proficiency day so that your nipper’s name is on our list. If they aren’t on the list they can’t participate unfortunately. PLEASE read and understand this as we have parents get upset every year when they are turned away from a proficiency assessment due to incomplete registration. This is out of our hands as we are not allowed to do any formal activity with children in the water without them being registered first.
- ALL nippers MUST wear a hi-vis pink singlet at the beach. Nippers without a hi-vis pink singlet will NOT be permitted to enter the water.
- U9-U14 nippers must satisfactorily complete the pool swim prior to attempting the beach swim.
|Pool Evaluation||Ocean Evaluation|
|Under 6||From a standing position in waist deep water perform a front glide and recover to a secure position. Perform a back or front float holding a buoyant aid and recover to a secure position.||NIL|
|Under 7||From a standing position in waist deep water perform a front glide, kick for 3m and recover to a secure position. Perform a back or front float for a few seconds and recover to a secure position.||NIL|
|Under 8||25 m Pool swim (untimed) + 1 min Survival Float||Nil – no water competition, except for wade which takes place in waist deep water|
|Under 9||200m Pool Swim – Continuous freestyle||Min. 150m surf swim (competition course as per competition manual)|
|Under 10||200m Pool Swim – Continuous freestyle||Min. 150m surf swim (competition course as per competition manual)|
|Under 11||200m Pool Swim under 6 min||Min. 288m surf swim (competition course as per competition manual)|
|Under 12||200m Pool Swim under 5 min||Min. 288m surf swim (competition course as per competition manual)|
|Under 13||200m Pool Swim under 5 min||Min. 288m surf swim (competition course as per competition manual)|
|Under 14||200m Pool Swim under 5 min||Min. 288m surf swim (competition course as per competition manual)|
* Surf swim is to be completed to an acceptable standard under the supervision of accredited Hunter Branch assessors.